Leaders Who Lift As They Climb The Ladder

We often talk about difficult bosses and micromanagers. We don't talk enough about the leaders who quietly change the trajectory of our careers.

One of those leaders changed mine.

I was a contingent production employee on night shift during a hiring freeze, working nights while attending school during the day. Before heading to class each morning, I'd walk the floor and look for ways to support the incoming shift before the full hand off.

One morning, I spoke with the day shift manager about challenges his team was facing. He mentioned recurring escalations caused by buffer shortages and transfer delays, which often impacted the upstream start. I brought it to my supervisor, received approval to help, and made solving the issue part of my daily routine. Eventually, the escalations stopped.

I didn't know it then, but someone was paying attention. That manager gave me visibility and referred me for a full time role despite the hiring freeze, even though he wasn't my direct manager.

Years later, after I had left the company, he reached out and referred me again for my first management role. His encouragement shaped my career, carried me through some difficult seasons in college, and he continues to guide and check in on me to this day.

Some of the most important moments in our careers happen when we choose to support one another, regardless of title. I've been fortunate to be on the receiving end of that more than once. I hope to do the same for someone else, in every way I lead.

#LeadWithPurpose #Leadership #ManufacturingOperations



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The solution is yours. Go fix it."

The Psychology in GMP Manufacturing Training: Choice Overload and the Primacy Effect

Data Integrity in GMP Manufacturing