"The solution is yours. Go fix it."
My first experience in pharmaceutical manufacturing shaped my mindset.
I started as a temporary worker in a pharmaceutical manufacturing stockroom. It was my first opportunity in the industry, and it became a defining moment in my career.
Finding materials was a daily challenge. We had SAP/ERP systems, but inventory locations were poorly organized at the time. Materials were stacked wherever space was available, and valuable production time was lost searching for what teams needed.
I brought the issue to my supervisor, expecting direction. His response was simple:
"The solution is yours. Go fix it."
At first, I was surprised. I wasn't a manager, and I wasn't even a full-time employee.
But that moment changed my perspective on leadership.
I learned that leadership is not defined by a title. It is demonstrated through ownership, initiative, and the ability to create value.
That mindset shaped how I approached every role that followed, from leading teams to driving continuous improvement projects that delivered operational, financial, and patient impact.
Rather than trying to solve the problem alone, I reached out to experienced professionals for guidance. Their support helped me partner with Facilities, Supply Chain, and other cross-functional teams to develop a 5S improvement plan for the stockroom.
Together, we reorganized the area, improved material flow, and made it easier for manufacturing teams to locate the materials they needed. The project was successful, and I was recognized for my contribution.
Years later, after becoming a manager in the same industry, one of my first assignments was implementing a manufacturing day staging warehouse and applying 5S principles to improve the operation.
That experience reinforced one important lesson:
The tools and titles may change, but the leadership principles remain the same.
Continuous improvement in GMP manufacturing environments is built on:
• Value-added mindset
• Open communication
• Cross-functional collaboration
• Shared ownership
• Trust
• Empowerment
• Adaptability
• Recognition
Manufacturing does not operate in isolation.
That is why I believe everyone should feel empowered to improve the process, whether they are a temporary worker, contractor, or full-time employee.
Because when people feel like part of the team, they become part of the solution.
Manufacturing does not work in isolation. Neither does continuous improvement.
Learn. Improve. Add value.
#Leadership #ContinuousImprovement #LeanManufacturing #OperationalExcellence #PharmaceuticalManufacturing #GMP #ManufacturingLeadership #Teamwork #5S
Comments
Post a Comment