I fell in love with quality systems because of a mturing event
I fell in love with quality systems because of a manufacturing event.
Some years ago, I witnessed a deviation where a bottle of cell growth media leaked during transfer into a biological safety cabinet. The operator contained it, escalated properly, and a deviation was initiated.
The investigation moved quickly: "operator error" was assigned as the root cause, with the conclusion that the operator had not been gentle enough during handling of the container. This was despite an eyewitness stating that the operator followed the procedure diligently and handled the bottle with care.
I remember him walking into the room, visibly upset, saying the event conclusion would affect his yearly performance and bonus.
Months later, two more similar events happened on the same process, with different operators. That's when it hit me.
The investigation had stopped at the person when it should have started with the process.
No one had checked whether the container was appropriate for the handling step, whether the transfer method was clearly defined in the SOP, whether any changes to the container or its specifications had been evaluated, or how many hands that bottle passed through, from manufacturer and distributor to shipping, receiving, staging, and wipe-down, before it was used in the process room.
A good investigation doesn't just ask what happened. It asks why, and whether it could happen again.
Sometimes operators make mistakes. But when different people experience the same failure, that's a signal to look deeper.
After that, I leaned all the way into quality. The training and outside exposure I pursued since then have shaped how early I ask hard questions whenever something unplanned occurs.
That's what true root cause analysis does. It helps prevent repeat failures, reduces rework and repeat investigations, protects trust, and most importantly, protects the patient waiting for the final product.
That experience still shapes how I lead and approach GMP manufacturing. When something goes wrong, I ask what in the process contributed to it and partner with QA to find the true root cause and prevent recurrence.
Quality is a responsibility I take personally.
Comments
Post a Comment